Nothing replaces face to face networking and communications. Nothing!
Help make yourself more visible.
This can ultimately add to your overall effectiveness in increasing visibility and growing your business.
Download the pdf: Fundamentals of Face to Face Networking
Here is the text version of pages 2-9:
2. Networking’s True Purpose:
(To start) The Beginning of Long Lasting Relationships
(However) Networking is not: Marketing, Advertising nor Selling
3. Purpose of Networking: Attract – Engage – Convert – Customer – Evangelist
4. Advance Preparations for Networking Events
- Set your goals
- Prepare AND Practice a personal introduction (a.k.a. elevator speech)
- Bring business cards
- Brochures (NOT recommended)
- Bring a pen!
- Do your homework
5. Tips at Events
- Firm handshake
- Eye-to-eye contact
- Pay attention – listen attentively
- Watch body language
- Handed a business card?
6. Opening The Conversation – Ask Open Ended Questions“How did you get started in business?”
- “What do you enjoy most about what you do?”
- “What challenges do you face?”
- “How are you using social media?”
- “Are you on LinkedIn?”
- “What trends do you see happening in your field?”
- “What have you found to be the most effective means of marketing?”
7. For The Event
- Dress appropriately
- Split up if with a partner
- Don’t over eat or drink
- Never two, always 3 or more
- Look for strays
- Keep interactions reasonable in length
- Stay away from ‘friends’
- Exit gracefully
8. Post – Event
- Organize business cards (Contact Management System)
- Start building a relationship with targets
- Coffee date (avoid lunch)
- Follow up email
- Request LinkedIn connection
- Keep in touch
9. Success Factors
Practice everything you learned to do in kindergarten:
Socializing, Sharing, Helping Others, etc.
There is no ‘i’ in building a NETWORK.
Neither should there be a ME!
Photo By Townsville Chamber (Own work) via Wikimedia Commons